Saturday, June 24, 2017

Ages Gone

It's been ages since I've been on here.  I've been dealing with a lot of health issues.  They've taken a tole on both my ability to model and my disposable income to support hobbies.  They are slowly resolving and I recently hit a point where I could get back into 40k again.

Yeah 40k.

So. I have to get something off my chest.

A friend got me a copy of the Dark Imperium boxed set and I've been looking forward  to it for a while.  First let me say I like 40k's plot advancing. I even sort of like the new Primaris crap they are doing.  I'm not a fan of "True Scale" marines but then I've never thought of my little figures as anything but little figures.  If I bitched that a space marine was the same height as an imperial guardsman I'd have to complain that no space marine could fit through the side door of a rhino.

I'm disappointed in the dark imperium boxed set. I like the rule book and the quality of packaging.  But these models piss me off.

GW tells us, Oh Primaris can work for any chapter. Except the Primaris kits in Dark Imperium lack possibility. You can't swap shoulder pads, you can't even swap weapons easily.  These are 7th generation Crap Marines. Not familiar with crap marines?

I've long used this term to describe marines from the old starter boxes. It started with the marines that had a gun just snap to their chest. Over the years the crap marines have gotten prettier but they are still crap.

I got into 40k to build my army not theirs.  A few months from now the real Primaris kits will come out I'm sure.  Hopefully they come with changeable torsos, shoulders, arms etc.  This molding shoulder pads to arms and affixing half the torso to the legs pisses me off.  Its hard enough to do after market bits for my chapter without this shit.

I wanted to get into age of sigmar but the same shit pissed me off.  The storm cast eternals are built the same way. you get 6 poses and that's it.  Fucking idiots. customization is one of the few things GW's models have always had going for them. They aren't the best quality anymore.  And while 8th edition rules seem better on paper time will tell if they will be crap like most other editions ended up.

Anyway, assuming the primaris shoulders are the same interior size as the old shoulders I'll make some new shoulders for them when they get real kits not crap marine kits.  I want me some blood angel intercisor sqauds.

Of note, the Intercisor shoulders are larger and flatter than traditional shoulders and the Gravis shoulder is even larger and flatter.  I think Gravis shoulders are actually wider than terminator shoulders.  My poor beleaguered termi's will sit on the shelf longer now.  I miss autocannon fire :(

Anyway the list of things that piss me off today...

* Two part leg design
* shoulder pads built into arms
* torso backs built into legs
* backpacks not being the same size as old backpacks
* the extra little peg on the bottom of the new heads
* bolt "Riffles" - so the old bolters didn't have riffled barrels to prevent their rocket propelled rounds from drifting off target? Cause you know, that's why riffles are called riffles right GW? Right?
* 300 different base sizes.
* any soldier in a brand new army being called an "Ancient" its supposed to feel new guys. Even just call them veterans would be tolerable.
* power swords being 4mm longer. they didn't need to get bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment